Sweetly spiced and smothered in cream cheese frosting, this vegan carrot cake will be enjoyed by everyone. Recipe from our friend @sugarhari
For the Carrot Walnut Cake:
- 480g Wholemeal Flour
- 20g Baking Powder
- 10g Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Sea salt
- 6g Cinnamon powder
- 2g Nutmeg powder
- 520g Carrots, grated
- 550g Light Brown Sugar
- 75g Ground Flaxseed Meal with 190g Water
- 250g Vegetable Oil
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 35g Apple Cider Vinegar
- 250g Walnuts, chopped
For the Buttercream Frosting:
- 160g Icing Sugar
- 240g Vegan Butter or Margarine
- 60g Coconut oil, melted
- 180g Vegan Cream Cheese
- 1 Lemon, zested
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
Instructions for Walnut Carrot Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a baking tray (size 24x34cm).
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg powder into a mixing bowl.
- Add the grated carrots and the light brown sugar.
- Mix the flaxseed meal with water and allow to sit for at least one minute.
- In the meantime, add the vegetable oil, vanilla extract, chopped walnuts and apple cider vinegar to the mixing bowl.
- Add the flax seed mix and mix everything together in the mixing bowl. Have a little patience and let the batter sit for at least 1-2 minutes so that the carrots can release more water into the batter to enable you to mix it all together.
- Transfer the cake batter evenly into the prepared cake pan tin.
- Place into the oven and bake the cake for at least 30 minutes. To make sure it is cooked, take a toothpick and insert into the centre and when it comes out clean then it is perfect.
- Allow the cake to cool down for a few minutes before transferring them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- For the vegan cheese cream frosting add the icing sugar, vegan butter, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract, and lemon juice into an electric mixer bowl.
- Start mixing on low speed until well combined and then on high speed!
- Transfer the cream cheese frosting into a piping bag and pipe it on top on top of the walnut carrot cake! Keep it in the refrigerator until the frosting is set!
- Cut into slices and decorate them with caramelised walnuts on top of the cake and serve it!
If you’d like to learn more about Hari Unterrainer, check out our blog; Five minutes in the Kitchen with Hari Unterrainer